Physicians’ Elemental Diet is intended for use under medical supervision for the dietary management of patients with GI dysfunction.
The elemental diet is designed for the dietary management of:
- Irritable bowel and Crohn’s disease, 1-6
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), 7-9
- Moderate to severe impaired gastrointestinal function.3, 10-12
Physicians’ Elemental Diet contains a balanced blend of macronutrients fortified with essential vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes to assure comprehensive support as a sole source of nutritional intake for limited periods. It has been:
- Specifically formulated to contain free amino acids, partially hydrolyzed carbohydrate and medium chain triglycerides to aid in their absorption from the GI lumen.
- Designed to maintain nutritional sustenance as a sole source of nutrition for up to four weeks.
- Produced as a strictly hypoallergenic formula, free from intact protein, polypeptides, corn, gluten, wheat, soy, and dairy.
- Formulated with a well-tolerated flavor for improved patient adherence.
Dosing by Caloric Need
Physicians’ Elemental Diet was designed to maintain nutritional sustenance as a sole source of nutrition, and can also be used as a half-elemental diet making dosing dependent upon the caloric needs of each patient. One scoop of Physicians’ Elemental Diet = 36 grams, and 150 calories. Each 432g bag contains 12 scoops (1, 800 calories) and each 1, 296g bag contains 36 scoops (5, 400 calories). Learn more about determining caloric need.
1. Gorard, DA, Hunt, JB, Payne-James, JJ, et al. 1993. Gut. 34:1198-202.
2. OMorain, C, Segal, AW, Levi, AJ. 1984. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 288:1859-62.
3. Ueno, F, Matsui, T, Matsumoto, T, et al. 2013. J Gastroenterol. 48:31–72.
4. Verma, S, Kirkwood, B, Brown, S, Giaffer, MH 2000. Dig Liver Dis. 32:769-74.
5. Yamamoto, T, et al. 2005. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 11:580-8.
6. Zoli, G, Carè, M, Parazza, M, et al. 1997. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 11:735-40.
7. Van Citters, GW, Lin, HC. 2005. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 7:317- 20.
8. Bures, J, et al. 2010. World J Gastroenterol. 16:2978-90.
9. Pimentel, M, et al. 2004. Dig Dis Sci. 49:73-7.
10. Eiden, KA. 2003. Pract. Gastroenterol. 2003, 33-43, 47-54.
11. Fisher, RL 1999. J. Nutr. 129:252S–5S.
12. Devlin, J, David, TJ, Stanton, RH. 1991. Arch Dis Child. 66:93-9.
Thoroughly mix each level scoop (36 g) in 4-8 oz. (118 – 236 mL) chilled or room temperature water. Additional water may be added to the mixture or consumed separately as desired. Consume the mixture slowly over a period of 15 to 60 minutes or more, dependent upon individual comfort. Once mixed, any product that is not consumed after 60 minutes should be refrigerated for a maximum of 24 hours, then shaken or stirred prior to consumption. After opening, store remaining powder in a dry place at room temperature.
Serving Size: 36g
Amount Per Serving
Calories … 150
Calories from Fat … 25
Total Fat … 4g
Saturated Fat … 4g
Total Carbohydrate … 25g
Sugars … 11g
Sodium … 105mg
Potassium … 150mg
Vitamin A … 250mcg
Vitamin C … 20mg
Calcium … 83mg
Iron … 1.5mg
Vitamin D3 … 1.67mcg
Vitamin E … 6.77mcg
Vitamin K … 10mcg
Thiamin … 0.5mg
Riboflavin … 0.56mg
Niacin … 3.3mg
Vitamin B6 … 667mcg
Folate … 33mcg
(as Quatrefolic® brand (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate, glucosamine salt)
Vitamin B12 … 0.5mcg
Biotin … 50mcg
Pantothenic Acid … 3.3mg
Phosphorus … 116mg
Iodine … 16mcg
Magnesium … 33mg
Zinc … 2mg
Selenium … 18mcg
Copper … 167mcg
Manganese … 332mcg
Molybdenum … 8mcg
Chloride … 142mg
Choline … 33mg
Other Ingredients: dextrose, tapioca maltodextrin, medium chain triglycerides, natural flavor, l-glutamine, l-proline, l-aspartic acid, l-serine, potassium citrate, l-arginine hydrochloride, l-alanine, disodium phosphate, l-leucine, l-lysine hydrochloride, l-valine, l-glycine, calcium glycerophosphate, tricalcium phosphate, l-isoleucine, choline bitartrate, l-threonine, l-tyrosine, magnesium citrate, l-phenylalanine, l-methionine, l-histidine, magnesium glycerophosphate, l-cysteine hydrochloride, potassium chloride, l-tryptophan, sodium ascorbate, l-carnitine l-tartrate, sodium chloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, ferrous gluconate, l-taurine, zinc sulfate, calcium d-pantothenate, beta carotene, niacinamide, sodium selenite, manganese citrate, phytonadione, pyridoxal-5-phosphate, cholecalciferol, riboflavin- 5-phosphate, thiamine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, Quatrefolic® ((6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt), d-biotin, sodium molybdate, potassium iodide, methylcobalamin
This product does not contain
- artificial coloring
- artificial flavoring
- dairy products
**Contains 5 g free form amino acids per 36 g serving
Contains no disaccharides, sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol.
MEDICAL FOOD INTENDED FOR USE UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION
Not intended for use in children.
Quatrefolic® is registered trademark of Gnosis S.p.A.
There are no reviews yet.